Trending nowWhy Harry Potter's Jessie Cave Says Joining OnlyFans Felt "Embarrassing"
FameFrontierYour front row seat to pop culture
Celebrities News

‘National Treasure 3’ Is Finally Happening — Nicolas Cage Set to Return as Benjamin Gates

After nearly two decades of waiting, fans of National Treasure finally have a reason to get excited.

The long-awaited third movie in the Nicolas Cage-led adventure franchise is now officially moving forward, according to director Jon Turteltaub, who revealed that National Treasure 3 is “finally real.”

Turteltaub shared the news during a live recording of the National Treasure Hunt podcast in Philadelphia on Friday, August 21, giving fans the biggest update yet on a movie that has been discussed for years.

“I was thinking about mentioning this tonight, I’ll say it tonight,” Turteltaub told the audience. “It’s happening. You’re the first people I have said this out loud to.”

Nicolas Cage Is Expected to Return

The biggest question surrounding National Treasure 3 has always been whether Nicolas Cage would return as Benjamin Franklin Gates, the history-loving treasure hunter at the center of the franchise.

According to Turteltaub, the plan is for Cage to return, with the director saying that, “to whatever extent we can, everyone’s back.”

The filmmaker also confirmed that a screenplay for the third movie has been developed and approved by both him and Disney. He said the studio’s reaction was essentially that the script “sounds like a movie we can make.”

That marks a major step forward for a project that has spent years stuck in development.

The Movie Is Not Quite Ready to Film Yet

While the announcement is exciting, fans should not expect a release date just yet.

Turteltaub was careful to explain that the project is currently “Hollywood real,” meaning that plans can still change before cameras begin rolling. In other words, National Treasure 3 is moving forward, but production and an official release date have not yet been announced.

Still, having an approved screenplay and the director publicly confirming that the movie is happening represents the most significant development the franchise has received in years.

It Has Been Nearly 20 Years Since the Last Movie

The original National Treasure premiered in 2004 and introduced audiences to Benjamin Gates, who discovers that a hidden map to a legendary treasure is connected to the Declaration of Independence.

The movie starred Nicolas Cage alongside Diane Kruger, Justin Bartha, Jon Voight, Harvey Keitel and Sean Bean. It became a major worldwide hit, earning roughly $347 million at the global box office.

The sequel, National Treasure: Book of Secrets, arrived in 2007 and brought Cage’s Benjamin Gates back for another historical mystery. That film performed even better commercially, earning about $459 million worldwide.

Since then, fans have repeatedly asked for a third movie.

There was even a Disney+ spin-off series, National Treasure: Edge of History, which premiered in 2022 but lasted only one season.

What Could ‘National Treasure 3’ Be About?

For now, the story details are being kept secret.

The second movie ended with a major mystery involving the legendary “Page 47,” leaving fans wondering for years whether the third film might finally reveal what was written on it.

There has been no official confirmation of the plot, however, so fans will have to wait to find out exactly where Benjamin Gates’ next adventure will take him.

For now, the important news is simple: Benjamin Gates may finally be coming back.

After years of false starts and uncertainty, National Treasure 3 is closer to becoming a reality than it has ever been.

And if Nicolas Cage really does return as Benjamin Gates, a new generation could soon be joining the treasure hunt.